Take the first step...

Take the first step...

Thursday 3 March 2011

Nice to meet you.

Do we put so much stock in first impressions that they inform our choices or interactions regarding certain people from then on? It would be easy to say that I like to give people the benefit of the doubt & let the sometimes contrived nature of initial interactions fade & give way to something far more substantial but it's not always the case. I have been guilty of letting first impressions remain firmly in mind in the past; sometimes aptly, sometimes to the detriment of the development of relationships of a more positive nature. 

It is especially hard as a teacher to not let the opinions of other teachers get in the way of developing an original & meaningful rapport with some students. That said, I have appreciated being told about the sometimes explosive capacity of some of the more volatile young'uns under my care, & have also paid the price for NOT knowing in other instances!
However, when it doesn't concern specified/(over)diagnosed cognitive/behavioural difficulties & the necessary rituals & structure (Blue paper, no-one on their left side, using a full name & NOT the abbreviation etc.) needed to ensure harmony & students are described plainly & simply as mongrels before I've even met them, surely that sets in motion a chain of events that ruins the guesswork & adventure of getting to know someone from scratch?
I've experienced this a lot, having been at 3 different schools in the past 3 years, so now when teachers start giving me the low down, I politely ask that they only tell me the info regarding things I NEED to know: mainly Autism, PDD NOS, Asperger’s, ADD, ADHD, ODD, OHGEECANIBUYAVOWEL? & the like which require set management to make the classroom an effective & positive environment for learning.

In recent cases there were 2 students whose reputations preceded them & as observations go, they were absolutely foul to all & sundry. I didn't take it personally, but my mind was seemingly made up.

Today however, I thought I had met completely different people. There were jokes (not vicious or malicious), discussions of a jovial nature, inclusivity, attempts to teach the teacher some 'siq' dance moves although he probably looked like a starfish having a fit & dare I say it, there was some bonding over music festivals & bands. I made sure I gave them praise at the end, but private, specific & unconditional (more on that later: even the simple act of praising someone has boundaries now!) & I really hope that this is a continuing trend. The dread I felt in going to this class knowing what I anticipated was the result of misconstrued information as well as a series of botched & contrived first impressions. 

Here’s to second impressions. Far more beneficial, way more fun & thoroughly appreciated!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment