Take the first step...

Take the first step...

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Someone Like You

Although this has been discussed by the mighty fine residents of Magpie Town I wanted to include it here as Adele has become one of my favourite female vocalists & this song in particular haunts me as well as a number of my friends who share the same feelings & tastes in music.





This amazing song by the beautiful Adele is heartbreak in motion & speaks to many different levels of love, longing & loneliness. It is both an affirmation & an abandonment of love & hope. At first glance she holds out hope of finding a new encounter that holds some semblance to this previous love, but at the same time acknowledges that something that meant so much has now officially finished with absolutely no chance of being rekindled. Not only that, she at first apologises for her presence there & begs, rather than asks her former lover not to forget her in this new life he has created without her. The tragedy of the situation that most people have felt at one stage of their lives or another is unmistakeable.

I hate to turn up out of the blue uninvited,
But I couldn't stay away, I couldn't fight it,
I had hoped you'd see my face,
And that you'd be reminded that for me it isn't over,

Nevermind, I'll find someone like you,
I wish nothing but the best for you, too,
Don't forget me, I beg,
I remember you said,
"Sometimes it lasts in love,
But sometimes it hurts instead,"
Sometimes it lasts in love,
But sometimes it hurts instead, yeah,

I could go on, but the song speaks for itself in scores. Adele's husky tones, stunning vocal heights & flawless presentation make this an undeniably memorable musical experience, rather than just the act of merely listening to a song. It conjures an extreme sense of desire & disappointment & I for one am thankful that there are such wonderfully creative people in this world who are able to evoke such powerful emotional reactions in us.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Adele has been burning a hole in my brain in the last week. I found her through Jonathan Groff, of all people. He mentioned her in an interview. He's covering Rolling in the Deep in two weeks on Glee. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete